Sunday, August 26, 2012

Holidays in Tenerife and a small trek to Mount Teide


Place: Tenerife - Canary Islands, Spain

Route: London Gatwick - Tenerife(Reina-Sofia) - London Gatwick
Date(s) of Travel: August 15 - August 23, 2012





You can read more about the event here: Tenerife, Canary Islands

My Experience:

My friends from Cippenham meadows, UK asked me if I would be interested in joining them for the lads holidays in Tenerife, Spain. I said, I would be more than interested in the trip and I was truly excited. One of our friend Stevie B sorted out everything from airport transfer, flight booking and hotel booking. It was a planned week long holiday in a city called "Las Americas" in the islands. Little I knew about tenerife or lads holidays, I stared the trip along with six other friends.

The flight from Gatwick was delayed for 4 hours, but I wasn't worried a bit as we spent the time in a pub inside airport. The flight journey was around 4.30 hours and finally we reached Tenerife south airport around 8 PM local time. We catched the tour bus and reached our hotel called Marola Portosin in Las americas. It was a nice hotel and it got an awesome swimming pool and good rooms with self cooking options. After refreshing up, we went to the party street around 11 PM. Its day 1 of the holidays and the drinking party started.

The whole party street in Las americas is filled with bars and disco clubs. When you go through the street, there will be loads of PRs from different bars and clubs trying to convince you to come to their bars with their attractive offers. The idea is, every day you start drinking in one bar and keep moving to another one. When it reaches around 3 AM you go to a club and dance till 7 AM. Good god, I had loads of vodka, rum and shots and within 2 hours I was smashed. My friends helped me to get back to the room, thats all I could remember.

I woke up with a bad hangover around 12 PM the next day and it was the case for everyone else. The whole tenerife island is filled with tourists and mostly british people and you get english breakfast all day in every restaurant. I tried the local food called Paela and it was really tasty. After few munches, you hit the swimming pool and spend the whole evening in the pool till the alcohol dries out of your body. There were lot of people near by the pool, just chilling out in the sun for the whole day to get their body tanned. I found it funny, then I came to know that its a fashion thing and you get to show off your tan back home. Anyhow, I am naturally tanned from India, so I wasn't bothered about that.

It was the same routine for all the seven days and it was savage. But it was fun to do once in a while and I got to know more about the friends and english culture. Apart from that, we went to the near by beach just for chilling. I noticed the sand was black in colour and got to know that there is a dormant volcano called Teide in the islands and because of the volcanic ashes and lava the sand in the beaches are black in colour. I was very excited and I decided to visit the volcano. After all the planning, one day morning I went to the bus stop and came to know that I missed the bus by 10 mins. Fuck that. Adding to that, there is only one bus for the whole day from Las americas to the volcano base. I got the timing right the next day and boarded the bus to see the volcano.

The volcano is situated in the middle of the islands. The bus journey was around 3 hours from the city and the whole journey was through loads of mountains. Since, it was peak summer everything was so dry and everything looked like a desert. Finally, reached the base of the volcano and people told me, it will take around 6 hrs to reach the top by trekking and I wasn't prepared very well too for the trek. So, I decided to go by the cable car and it was a thrilling experience where the ride is almost vertical. Once I reached the top, it was way cooler than the base and it was really nice. The people at the top said there are two small treks I can do to reach the crater of the volcano. As always, I did the trek and it took me around an hour to reach the desired point. The view from the top was quite amazing and you can check them in the above photos. I heard during winter seaon, the volcano is completely surrounded by snow. After spending some time in the mountain top, I came down to the base and got the bus back to Las americas.

After partying for seven days, we got back to London with loads of fun filled memories. Some of the pictures that I took in the clubs can't be publicly displayed so I am just putting up the pictures of the volcano trip and a small video made my Stevie B which summarises our partying in tenerife.




Thought of Day: To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. - Aldous Huxley

No comments: